Welcome to the Neighborhood
ARE YOU READY TO JOIN US FOR THE BE MY NEIGHBOR QUILT-A-LONG?
Visit our blog each Monday to download your free blueprint and get started building your neighborhood. There's a picture of the complete quilt at the end of this blog post.
Sixteen blocks in all and a quilt setting pattern too! All provided for your quilting fun by the folks at Moda Fabrics .
and....because you are here at RockingChairQuilts.com to get your pattern, there will be prizes too (we LOVE prizes!).
BLOCK ONE: The Empire House
Here are photos from this week's block blueprint that we have sewn up here at the shop.
Are you going to quilt along with us? If you're going to break ground and start building your neighborhood we want to see your blocks too!
If you'll share a photo of your block with us each week you could win a prize. Read how below.
NEIGHBORHOOD PHOTO GALLERY
UPLOADS FROM QUILT-A-LONG PARTICIAPNTS
READ about the PRIZES:
- Each Monday come here to our blog get your free downloadable blueprint .
- Stitch up your house block.
- Share a picture of that week's completed house block with us by the following Sunday at 12 Noon (see how to share a picture below)
- We'll enter your name into a random drawing for a prize. Winner announced the next morning on the weekly Monday blog post along with the next pattern download.
- Every Monday we'll start fresh with a NEW house blueprint to download and a NEW contest to enter. You can send a photo from anywhere. if your name is chosen as a weekly winner we can ship prizes all over the world to our international friends too! - We are a global neighborhood☺
- When the second week starts Monday September 12th a new contest for a new prize will begin, then end the following Sunday at Noon, and sew on and sew forth, until the neighborhood is completed.
•16 Blueprints •16 weeks •16 prizes•
We're not picking our favorite block photo, or looking for nice seams or anything like that. This isn't a sewing contest - it's a neighborhood of quilters sharing pictures of their projects and ideas. This is a FUN neighborhood we're building, such a happy place that the quilt police need never come down our streets, so don't stress about it - just let the construction begin.
Stitch up your blocks, snap a picture and send it off to us. The weekly winner will be chosen in a random drawing from all the people who shared a photo of that week's block with us - we just want to see your blocks so the weekly prize drawing is a way to thank you for sharing photos of your Be My Neighbor quilt blocks.
WAYS TO SHARE YOUR WEEKLY BLOCK PHOTO:
- send your photo in an email to me : Carol@RockingChairQuilts.com
- post your photo on our Facebook page- CLICK HERE to get to the Facebook page.
- Tweet a photo @makeaquilt or tag us in your tweet @MakeAQuilt
- Post your photo on Instagram and tag us rockingchairquilts
- If you live nearby you can pop in during SHOP HOURS each week we'll take photo of your block for you.
•this weeks goodies •
Well....... you made it here to the neighborhood and read this whole page, so now I will show you the prize for this week. A tidy bundle of 9 Grunge Fat Quarters. Get a photo of your 1st house block to me by Sunday September 11th at 12 Noon and you'll be entered for a chance to win this fat quarter bundle of Grunge by Basic Grey for Moda Fabrics. Go get some fabrics together and get sewing. I can't wait to see what you build!
A RANDOM DRAWING WAS HELD AND THE WINNER FOR WEEK ONE IS ANNETTE WHITMILL MCCONNELL. CONGRATULATIONS ANNETTE! WE WILL GET YOUR BUNDLE OF GRUNGE FAT QUARTERS SENT OFF TO YOU ASAP. A NEW WEEK HAS BEGUN AND WE HAVE A NEW PRIZE TO OFFER. CLICK HERE to GO TO WEEK 2's BLOG POST
General Information about your Be My Neighbor Quilt -from Moda:
- The finished quilt will measure 68″ x 84 1/2″.
- There are 16 blocks in the quilt top. The rows are separated by horizontal sashing strips.
- These are very scrappy blocks so exact yardage for a set number of fabrics has not been calculated. Mix your favorite Moda prints to create your colorful neighborhood!
16 House Blocks: Assorted Prints & Solids
Background and Sashing: 4 -1/2 yards
Borders: 1 – 1/4 yards
Binding: 2/3 yard
Backing: 4 – 3/4 yards
For a quilt using the same background for blocks, sashing and borders, you will need 5 – 3/4 yards total. For scrappy backgrounds, sashing and borders, allow for just a little bit more fabric.
So won’t you be our neighbor?
FYI: Here is a list the fabrics we used in each of our neighborhood blocks:
Vintage Village* Scrappy vintage- I'm starting with a HAWTHORNE RIDGE Jelly Roll, Layer Cake and yardage. Also, in the coming weeks. I will be sprinkling in some fabric from these MODA collections: ELIZA'S INDIGO PETIT PRINTS DEUX SOUTHERN EXPOSURE POLKA DOTS & PASILEYS and SILVER LININGS SHIRTINGS . Background used throughout is Primitive Muslin Paper Bag 1040 24 from Primitive Gatherings.
Amish Avenue** A bevy of bright Moda Bella Solids surrounded by a sea of scrumptious Super Black 9900 96 background (my new favorite Moda Bella black solid fabric)
Holiday Haven*** Scrappy Christmas-A widely scattered mix from everything Christmas-esque in the shop right now . Search these collections to see some of these fabrics: The Cookie Exchange JOL EVERGREEN Under the Mistletoe Winterlude Moda Bella SOlids Moda MArble Swirls Grunge MODA MARBLE STARS ......anon. Background used throughout is MODA MUSLIN MATES WHITE ON WHITE SWIRLS